Somatic Experiencing in Hong Kong and China   Portal
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Preferences  •  Usergroups  •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
Calendar 
View next topic
View previous topic

Post new topicReply to topic View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic
PaulChung
Administrator
Administrator

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:07 pm  Post subject:  SE Team from US to train in Sichuan Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Given that trauma like the Sichuen quake, what are the emotional response or sequence of responses as result of the quake could come out?

What is the right time to help the victims emotionally?

ON May 24, the Subject of this topic is changed from

"What is the right time to intervene?" into

"SE Team from US to train in Sichuan" to keep track of the proposal made by Rob Blinn via email May 23

中國 +86 139 2834 2781
香港 +852 9199 8788

http://www.paulchung.com.hk
http://blog.sina.com.cn/bzhong330
http://www.facebook.com/paulchung330

Last edited by PaulChung on Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aries Gender:Male Monkey OfflinePersonal Gallery of PaulChungView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Rob Blinn

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:46 pm  Post subject:  (No subject) Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

I am heading to Sichuan early tomorrow and will be there until Tuesday. It is a good chance to help folks who were impacted by this. I have already had people here in Beijing who were really freaked out by the quake. I will report more when I return.

Psychologist
Director, Family Counseling Center
Beijing United Family Hospitals and Clinics
E-mail: rob.blinn@ufh.com.cn
United Family Hospitals

Aries  Pig OfflinePersonal Gallery of Rob BlinnView user's profileSend private message
PaulChung
Administrator
Administrator

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:34 am  Post subject:  Nice to know that ... Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Rob Blinn wrote:
I am heading to Sichuan early tomorrow and will be there until Tuesday. It is a good chance to help folks who were impacted by this. I have already had people here in Beijing who were really freaked out by the quake. I will report more when I return.

Nice to know that Rob is going for Sichuan. Do share more with us when appropriate. You are one of us.

中國 +86 139 2834 2781
香港 +852 9199 8788

http://www.paulchung.com.hk
http://blog.sina.com.cn/bzhong330
http://www.facebook.com/paulchung330

Aries Gender:Male Monkey OfflinePersonal Gallery of PaulChungView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
PaulChung
Administrator
Administrator

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:59 am  Post subject:  Part 1 of 2 of Rob's email received 23 May 2008 12:11 Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

寄件人Rob Blinn <rob.blinn@ufh.com.cn>
收件人Paul Chung <paulchung@paulchung.com.hk>

副本"frzee.com" <gzeesj@yahoo.com>

日期2008年5月23日 下午 12:11
主旨FW: Trauma Relief in Sichuan

Hi Paul,

I am back from Sichuan and I found the techniques to be of great help. What I am trying to do at this point is bring a team of fully trained SE clinicians in to Sichuan to train locals there to intervene to reduce trauma. There is great interest in bringing a team over here and it is similar to what they did after the tsunami. What I am faced with in the initial stages is arranging the funding and coordinating efforts. Please see the email below to several of our adminstrators at my hospital. Any help that anyone from HK would be able to provide would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who know how powerful this work can be.

Tsunami article:

http://www.traumahealing.com/research/Traumatology2007.pdf

Best Regards,

Rob Blinn, Ph.D.
Psychologist
Mon., Wed., Thurs. BJU Tel:6433 3960 ext. 520
Tuesdays - Shunyi Clinic Tel: 8046-5432
Fridays - St. Regis Clinic Tel: 8532-1221
Emergencies: 6433-2345

Last edited by PaulChung on Sat May 24, 2008 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total
PaulChung
Administrator
Administrator

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:03 am  Post subject:  Part 2 of 2 of Rob's email received 23 May 2008 Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 11:17 AM
Subject: FW: Trauma Relief in Sichuan
Importance: High

Hi,

I have been in contact with the Somatic Experiencing Foundation (Foundation for Human Enrichment) in the United States including their founder, Dr. Peter Levine and two of their lead trainers and Executive Director. They are interested in sending a team to Sichuan Province. Later in this email I will outline what I think is needed to make this project work. I would like everyone to keep in mind that after a major disaster like this the psychological trauma is as great or greater than the physical trauma.

Since I began my work as a psychologist over ten years ago, I have found no method better at healing emotional trauma than Somatic Experiencing. Although I have been trained using several different modalities of working with trauma: EMDR, CISM, Red Cross Disaster Mental Health, Cognitive-Behavioral, Somatic Experiencing works better than any other model. I have had Somatic Experiencing sessions myself that have been life changing, I have seen how well SE works with my patients, and I have seen how well it works last week in Sichuan. In addition, this method has been used to great impact following recent large scale disasters such as Hurricane Katrina, the Thailand Tsunami, and most recently the major fires in Southern California. One of the main assets of SE cross-culturally is that it focuses on the body and is less language-oriented than any other treatment modality. Work that was done with children following the tsunami was mostly body-oriented involving working out the trauma through games and activities rather than through traditional talk therapy. Please see the following research:

http://www.traumahealing.com/research/Traumatology2007.pdf

On television I have seen that although psychologists are working with earthquake survivors, their interventions are fairly basic and will likely not have any long-term impact. A team of a few psychologists can not make much of a difference, but a team of psychologists coming in to train local educators, counselors, and community leaders can make a big difference. The SE people in the United States are proposing not that we bring in a team to treat the survivors, that would be too daunting, but rather that we bring in a team to train those in the impacted areas how to help their peers and children.

Laurie Leitch, at the Foundation for Human Enrichment (FHE), has indicated that their funds for outreach are at present quite limited, so that most of the funding would likely need to come from this side of the Pacific. If our Foundation can sponsor or if we can find a sponsor, Lauire can put together a team of 4-5 counselors to do institute a brief stabilization model. She stressed that The Trauma Resource Institute (TRI) which is the outreach arm of the FHE always trains local individuals in order to build local capacity. Ms. Leitch indicated that the training would take 3-4 days and involve 5 trainers. That is, they would not, be treating people, but training locals in the areas impacted by the earthquake.

Finally, I would request that participation of Chinese staff is crucial. If someone is willing to help me coordinate this what I believe to be important project, it would be of great help. We will especially need individuals who can help obtain the appropriate approval for doing this kind of work, inerpreters, those willing to help coordinate logistics when the counselors/trainers are in China,and then follow-up with those whom we train in Sichuan for months after the training is completed. This project will also require financial resources in order to bring the trainers to Sichuan.

If you are interested in reading more about how this kind of work is done, please view the two Powerpoint presentations I used in Chengdu (soon available in Mandarin). I have heard that several individuals who are debriefing workers coming back from the epicenter have been using the techniques that I suggested to positive effect over the last few days:

\\Ufhpekfs01\bjudata\Psychology\Public\Earthquake

Also a general article about Somatic Experiening is attached.

Best Regards,

Rob Blinn, Ph.D.
Psychologist

PaulChung
Administrator
Administrator

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:07 am  Post subject:  2nd email from Rob received 23 May 2008 12:53 Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

寄件人Rob Blinn <rob.blinn@ufh.com.cn>
收件人Paul Chung <paulchung@paulchung.com.hk>

副本"frzee.com" <gzeesj@yahoo.com>

日期2008年5月23日 下午 12:53
主旨RE: Hi Rob, any news from Sichuan?

We are also looking to identify funding to bring over the six practitioner/trainers. My hospital's foundation may be able to provide some of the funding. FHE is estimating the total cost to be around 20,000 USD.

Rob Blinn, Ph.D.
Psychologist

PaulChung
Administrator
Administrator

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:13 pm  Post subject:  A supporting email from Maggie received 24 May 10:01 Reply with quoteBottom of PageBack to top

Reply to: mphillips@lmi.net

To: Paul Chung <paulchung@paulchung.com.hk>

日期2008年5月24日 上午 10:01
主旨Re: Trauma Relief in Sichuan & Appeal

Hello Everyone:

Thanks so much for this appeal, Paul. I am very happy to see how you and Rob are networking to help bring a team over. I agree strongly that the brief SE model which has already been tested after the tsunami and in African conflicts, among other sites, is one of the most effective types of psychological aid that is available worldwide for disasters. I hope some of you can serve as translators; that will be such a big help. And, of course, donating money toward the cost of the team would be an invaluable contribution. I plan to make a donation. I'm assuming that information is posted on the site you mentioned so I will go there next. I hope some of you can join me to help make this project a reality as soon as possible. Certainly, if you have connections to private donors, that would also be a wonderful asset.

I wish my schedule allowed me to come back to China at this time to be available on-site. Unfortunately, inflexibility is one of the downsides of a full schedule. So I will follow with eagerness your efforts from a distance. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this deeply troubling time.

My very best wishes to you all,
Maggie

Post new topicReply to topic View previous topicEmail to a Friend.List users that have viewed this topicSave this Topic as filePrintable versionLog in to check your private messagesView next topic

View next topic
View previous topic